Even something as simple as loading or unloading a handgun can result in tragedy if it isn’t done properly. To load a handgun safely:
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- If the firearm has a safety, put the safety on if you can open the action and load the firearm with the safety on.
- Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard.
- Open the action or cylinder on your handgun. Make sure the firearm’s chamber and barrel are clear and unobstructed. If loading a semi-automatic handgun, drop the magazine if it is not already out of the handgun.
- Load the correct ammunition into the cylinder or magazine.
- Insert your magazine if you shoot a semi-automatic handgun, or close the cylinder on your revolver.
- Put the safety on if it is not on already.