To unload a handgun safely:
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- If the firearm has a safety, put the safety on if you can open the action and unload the firearm with the safety on.
- Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard.
- Remove the magazine if using a semi-automatic, or open they cylinder on a revolver.
- Open the action if using a semi-automatic handgun.
- Eject cartridges if it is the only way to remove them.
- Make sure the firearm is empty by physically and visually checking both the chamber and the magazine well.
- Put the safety on if it is not on already.