Even something as simple as loading or unloading a firearm can result in tragedy if it isn’t done properly. To load a rifle safely:
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- If the firearm has a safety, put the safety on if you can open the action and load the firearm with the safety on.
- Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard.
- Open the action. Make sure the firearm’s chamber and barrel are clear and unobstructed.
- Load the correct ammunition into the chamber or magazine.
- Close the action.
- Put the safety on if it is not on already.